Re: [htdig] How Long???

Subject: Re: [htdig] How Long???
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 06:19:00 PST

At 10:55 PM -0500 1/22/01, Pat Lennon wrote:
>Another question .. after the htdig/htmerge I pasted the search.html into the
>index.html file. Then I played a game of who has permission. Finally I got it
>to work...Approx 1-2 hours messin around. I notice that what ever i search on
>the result "Scores" are all the same 1 star. Also the "Sort by
>Title" is out of order. Is this a bug or a bad setup by me?

This is a well-known bug in 3.2.0b2, which is why we are trying to
get 3.2.0b3 out ASAP (amid the server transition). There are many
such bugs, which is why we are encouraging people to try the latest
development snapshots as pre-releases of 3.2.0b3.

>Well it finally finished about 1 hour after i sent the first E-mail. To my
>surprise the databases are approx 150 meg. I had figured on at least 500 meg.

One of the nice benefits of the 3.2 code is some compression code
contributed by Loic Dachary and Marcel Bosc. They estimate that the
word databases can be compressed up to 8 times. For users with a lot
of data, this is a win in performance as well since there are fewer
disk reads. But we're still optimizing performance.