Re: [htdig] Duplicate results with directories & some questions/bugs?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Duplicate results with directories & some questions/bugs?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 07:48:01 PST

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Evelio Martinez wrote:

> How can it be fix ?
> What does it mean the links endings? ?N=D ?M=D ?S=D ...
> By the way, the subdirectory doc is a symlink. I do not know it it
> has something to do with this wrong result.

It means that you're running Apache with FancyIndexing turned on. This
generates links at the top of the columns to sort the directory index by
name, size, date, etc.

You probably will want to either:
a) Turn off this behavior in Apache -- I believe the option is
"SupressColumnSorting"
b) Enter the patterns into exclude_urls, e.g.:
exclude_urls: ?N=D ?N=A ?S=D ?S=A ?M=D ?M=A ...

> 2) The apache DocumentRoot is /home/httpd/html and I have the
> /home/httpd/recursos as "brother" not "son" and password-protected.
[snip]
> BUT if I use the -u user:password flag it behaves in a recursive way
> and I do not need to write all the subdirectories in the conf file.

If you do not supply a password to htdig, it will be rejected when it
attempts to access password-protected areas. So if parts of your site are
protected, you will need to supply the password for them to be indexed.