Re: [htdig] append database problem

Subject: Re: [htdig] append database problem
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 07:42:49 PST

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Julian C. Dunn wrote:

> And htdig started to index all the URLs that were indexed with the
> original htdig.conf, and never indexed the documents at the start_url
> in htdig-bc.conf .

How are you sure that it "never" indexed the documents in the start_url?

When you run htdig with an existing database, it will load all the URLs in
the database and check through them for changes. Typically, this is much
faster than an initial dig--if the server supports the If-Modified-Since:
header, many documents won't be sent over the connection and only modified
documents will be reindexed.

However, once it has updated the URLs, it will go through any new URLs
listed in the start_url. So I would be very much surprised if it "never"
got to the new URLs.