Re: [htdig] Memory requriements

Subject: Re: [htdig] Memory requriements
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 07:47:21 PST

According to Pat Lennon:
> I have a Linux box with approx 1 gig of html and pdf books. I want to
> use htdig for the search engine. I dont want to assume to much
> but....will 1 additional gig of hard disk cover the size of the index
> database. I figure double may be a safe starting point. Also what type
> of memory requirements should i consider at a minimum? The hardware is a
> Cyrix 150 64 meg ram redhat 6.2 apache webserver. I know this is a vague
> question...I would just like some reasonable starting points???

I don't know for sure, but my gut reaction is that 64 MB of RAM is pretty
small for a 1 GB web site. I'd think you'd at least want to double that.
However, it may work with what you have, although probably quite a bit
more slowly.

The web site size to database size ratio is a little hard to predict.
It depends a lot on how much of your web site is indexable text vs.
unindexable content (e.g. images, etc.), and what your config attribute
settings are (max_doc_size, max_head_length). A 1:1 ratio is probably
safe enough for htdig 3.1.5, but databases tend to be bigger in 3.2.0bx.