Re: [htdig] Spelling Help

Subject: Re: [htdig] Spelling Help
From: Gilles Detillieux (
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 07:30:18 PST

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> At 1:34 PM +0000 1/18/01, David Adams wrote:
> >1) What have other sites done to address this problem? (Spell checking
> >and correcting our own
> Use good fuzzy methods, including the synonym file. We are working on
> additional fuzzy matching code, but of course if anyone can come up
> with sample code that produces a list of suggestion words from an
> input, we can probably port it.
> >2) Can anybody recommend a _good_ (UK English) spell checker for IRXIX
> >6.5?
> Yes. Try ispell with the UK dictionaries.

Back in October, Greg Holmes posted a python wrapper script for htsearch,
which used ispell to suggest alternative spellings. The thread that
ensued is at

The ispell package is GNU software, so it should port to IRIX easily
enough, I'd think, and the dictionaries are very customisable.

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: