[htdig] solaris 2.6 and htdig 3.1.5

Subject: [htdig] solaris 2.6 and htdig 3.1.5
From: Ronald Edward Petty (repett0@sweb.uky.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 06:28:53 PST

I think its 3.1.5(whatever the latest stable is). Anyways I emailed
yesterday about this
ares:/export/netapp/user/rpy/htdig-3.1.5/htfuzzy/> make
c++ -o htfuzzy -L../htlib -L../htcommon -L../db/dist -L/usr/lib Endings.o
EndingsDB.o Exact.o Fuzzy.o Metaphone.o Soundex.o SuffixEntry.o Synonym.o
htfuzzy.o Substring.o Prefix.o ../htcommon/libcommon.a ../htlib/libht.a
../db/dist/libdb.a -lz -lnsl -lsocket
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.95.2/libgcc.a: could not
read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [htfuzzy] Error 1

and now I was wondering, everywhere I search on the net I get the
impression that gcc is calling the wrong linkers. I type as -version and
its the gnu assembler in my path, and same for id. So I am assuming that
there is a version of the solaris as or id that is messing me up. 2
questions

1) Is it possible there is another problem that can be generating this? I
ask this so I dont have to manually link all this, i have never done that
before so maybe i should to learn... gee
2) If noone thinks it is another problem... how can "watch" the make file
call the linker,etc if I use top it doesn't show. I do where ld and get
5 choices, and if i do /asdf/asdf/asdf/ld - version on 2 of them I get gnu
and the other 3 i get invalid option, could these maybe be the solaris
versions I cant tell , there is no option listed to tell.

HELP(whinny voice)
Thanks
Ron Petty