Re: [htdig] NEED HELP with indexing

Subject: Re: [htdig] NEED HELP with indexing
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 14:20:34 PST

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, George Roberts wrote:

> indexed pages, and I have NO CLUE how to reindex the whole site. Could
> someone please help?

It depends a lot on how the original person installed it and your system.
But usually there's a program "rundig" that creates the databases. Many
people just hack this script to fit local needs, others create local
versions (e.g. mine is "rundig.sh"). Of course the best thing to do is to
write a version that can be run through the cron program which ensures the
indexes are updated on a regular basis automatically. But I digress.

So first, I'd suggest finding the directory containing the databases, e.g.

locate db.wordlist

Next, make a backup of the files in there. Then see if you can find the
rundig script. If so, look for any evidence of a local version with a
possibly newer date. If the rundig script you have mentions "alt"
somewhere in it, try running "rundig -a" which will update the databases
using alternate .work files.

That should get you started in the right direction.