Re: [htdig] dig taking forever

Subject: Re: [htdig] dig taking forever
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 20:58:39 PST

At 11:32 PM -0500 1/11/01, Archive User wrote:
>I have an email archive within my company with has
>about 300 mailing lists being archived to it via
>mhonarc. We have approximatly 110k emails in the

Do you mean 300 lists * 110,000 messages, or do you mean 110,000
messages total?

>Should 110k web pages really take this long? I am
>thinking a few hours tops is more like it should
>be.

Yes, that's about what I'd expect myself. I'm assuming you're
updating alternate files when you talk about an "update dig." Have
you tried blowing away the alternates and reindexing them from
scratch? Basically what I'm saying is to keep your existing databases
in place and generating a new set from scratch. Are they faster? (in
which case there's something wrong with the databases perhaps) Or is
it the same (in which case there's a general slowdown you're seeing
now)

Also, have you set the server_wait_time attribute or anything of that sort?