Re: [htdig] Problem with PDF files....

Subject: Re: [htdig] Problem with PDF files....
From: Gilles Detillieux (
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 12:30:11 PST

According to Elijah Kagan:
> Dear Everyone
> Hope this is the correct list to send such questions. If not, accept my
> apologies.
> When I run htdig on my files I get the following message when it comes to
> a PDF document:
> 41:41:3:http://myserver/~elijah/document.pdf: PDF::parse: cannot find pdf
> parser /usr/local/bin/acroread size = 1965732
> For some reason htdig looks for an Acrobat while its config file clearly
> states:
> external_parsers: application/msword->text/html /usr/local/bin/ \
> application/postscript->text/html /usr/local/bin/ \
> application/pdf->text/html /usr/local/bin/
> The exists and working and the content type received from the
> server is application/pdf.
> Any ideas?
> P.S. I am running htdig 3.1.5 on a Debian system.

There are a few possibilities:

1) htdig isn't looking at this config file, but another one, without
the external_parsers definition;
2) there's a typo in the external_parsers definition that isn't showing up
in the text you e-mailed above, e.g. a misspelled word or a space after
one of the backslashes at the end of the first two lines; or
3) there's a definition right above your external_parsers definition that
mistakenly ends with a backslash at the end of the line, causing your
external_parsers definition to be swallowed up by the previous line.

That htdig is attempting to invoke acroread confirms two things: a)
the PDF file is correctly being tagged by the server as application/pdf,
and b) htdig is not seeing a usable definition of an external parser
for that content-type, for any of the reasons outlined above.

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: