Re: [htdig] htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] htdig
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 21:33:56 PST

At 2:18 PM -0500 1/10/01, Chuck Umeh wrote:
>I'm using htdig in my company's website and the htdig search engine
>does not work because of a corrupted database, I started the rundig
>script to re-index the database and the process has been running for
>more than one week. Any clue on how to resolve this problem or what
>might have caused it.

What caused which problem? Corruption? I dunno--what causes bit rot in general?

Things taking a week? I'm guessing you're not indexing a large chunk
of the internet, so I would guess that you've probably gotten the
indexer into an infinite loop. How big are the databases--did they
fill the disks or get larger than 2GB each?

You might try running htdig alone with the command-line flags "-v -i"
which will create the databases from scratch (-i) and provide a
progress report as it goes (-v).