Re: [htdig] A little automation

Subject: Re: [htdig] A little automation
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 15:54:11 PST

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, htdighelp wrote:

> I agree and the fact is, if it takes a separate database, so be it,
> much simpler than trying to mod the code for this. Maybe in the
> future, it might be a good idea. Maybe some sort of web based config
> interface for all these things. Fact is, the net is not getting any
> smaller and I suspect that those using this seriously will need more
> functionality.

Funny you should mention this. The ConfigDig package does exist, though I
don't think much development has been done recently. I'm sure people would
be glad to see it picked up again. Certainly the multidig scripts that I
wrote are other attempts at simplifying things.

My $0.02. I'm not so sure a web-based front end is a great idea since it
means your config files are writeable via a CGI. To me this smells like a
security hole. But other people have different tolerances and besides, the
base Perl stuff in the ConfigDig project can be used from different
frontends. (I believe an X/Tk frontend was in the works.)