Re: [htdig] multiple dbases from one search form?

Subject: Re: [htdig] multiple dbases from one search form?
From: Douglas Kline (kline@head-cfa.harvard.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 14:34:33 PST

> On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Mike Paradis wrote:
>
> > I've looked high and low for this answer but have not found it yet.
> >
> > I know that I can create multiple databases but how can I search
> > multiple databases from one search form?
>
> There's a good reason you haven't found it. It isn't supported in the
> current code.
>
> This is supported in the 3.2 code, though it has received minimal testing
> (at best) at the moment and not much documentation exists there either.
> (Partly since the htsearch code is badly in need of a rewrite.)

The possibility of running more than one database from one ht-Dig installation
is of interest to us too. I was planning to ask about it and thought I'd do so
now that it's been brought up. I think that you could establish more than one
htdig.conf file, each one referring to a different location for the database
directory, and direct htdig and htmerge to the appropriate htdig.conf file
using the "-c" flag to those commands. Is that the way to create multiple
databases the above e-mail message refers to?

I have found that changing the pathname definitions in rundig which includes
the line

DBDIR=/proj.solar/SOLAR-B/HTDIG/htdig.mail/htdig-3.1.5/HTDIG/db

does not affect the pathnames used by htdig and htmerge and that the various
pathnames are hard-coded into those programs.

If you do that have multiple databases, does the v. 3.2 code support a "-c"
flag for htsearch? Is there any way to do it with v. 3.1.5?

TIA.

Douglas Kline

========
Douglas Kline