Re: [htdig] Remote Request?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Remote Request?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 20:03:28 PST

Based on what you say, you'll probably want to have some sort of
"wrapper" CGI. This can take the user's query through the search
server and then call htsearch on the index servers using something
like ssh to execute htsearch remotely. (I would say rsh since more
people are familiar with using rsh in this fashion, but it's
insecure.)

At 10:46 AM -0600 1/2/01, htdighelp wrote: > >In this fashion, you'd probably want to index on the DB server > >itself and then transfer the ht://Dig databases if you wanted. > > > >Am I following you, or did you have something else in mind? > >I am using a cluster of servers that do nothing but index 24hrs/day. >Each server contains it's own database of results but is not a web >server so that it can be searched. > >Additional servers are the actual search servers. The search servers >could contain a local copy of the indexing servers but I would >rather leave the databases remote. > >Right now, I have things set up so that a search server takes the >input from a user, then uses an NFS connection to the particular >index server's database. The problem, as I see it right now, is that >this type of method will have network limitations in speed as the >databases have to be checked completely, and, from a remote >connection. > >A much better solution would be if the search server could send a >query to the index server which could quickly process the request >and send back the results only. Would this not speed things up? The >only network traffic would be the request and the result this way >rather than the entire database file reads that need to happen. >Since a fellow user mentioned the backlink variable, the results are >*much* faster already, even over an nfs link. > >Does this explain better? > >Stand alone htdig servers. Stand alone search servers. Users enter a >search on a search server, which looks on the htdig server's db >files for the results. > >Mike