Re: [htdig] Indexing a database

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexing a database
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 08:55:28 PST

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, SMantscheff wrote:

> 1) How does htDig recognize that a document has changed? By a meta
> tag? By its content? By a header? What information do I have to send
> so that htDig knows the document's time?

By the Last-Modified: header sent by the server. If a date exists in the
datbase, htdig will send an If-Modified-Since: header which will receive a
specific HTTP response if the document is not changed.

Alternatively, the modification_time_is_now attribute sets the date to the
current time if none is returned from the server.

> interface and convert my database directly to suit as htDig input. Can I do
> this?

Sure. Use an external parser:
<http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#external_parser>