Re: [htdig] Slow Responses

Subject: Re: [htdig] Slow Responses
From: christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Mon Jan 01 2001 - 13:29:58 PST

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Mike Paradis wrote:
>I have a database that is as follows in size...
>
>265942016 db.docdb
>77686784 db.docdb.work
>11092992 db.docs.index
>12362752 db.metaphone.db
>9239552 db.soundex.db
>474692399 db.wordlist
>134800983 db.wordlist.work
>377980928 db.words.db
>
>Granted, this is probably a good sizes dbase. The problem is the amount
>of time it takes for a return on a search. Searches can take about 10
>seconds or more to return and this is with only one user searching.

 My databases are a bit smaller (after manually thinning out thousands of
pages through my exclude file):

210227200 db.docdb
  6283264 db.docs.index
 12396544 db.metaphone.db
  9428992 db.soundex.db
322641272 db.wordlist
265526272 db.words.db

 and I get results pretty quickly (the speed is really noticeable with a
text only browser - damn images slowing down the net :-). Perhaps your
machine needs more RAM and/or power? I'm running on a G4/400 with 512 MB
of RAM (running YellowDog Linux). Also, if you are using words that are
too frequent to be useful, try putting them in your bad words file. For
example, my search engine is for McGill University, so I put McGill in the
bad words file. Makes searches containing the word McGill much faster.

 Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. My first net access account used to be through Newforce (then
'livewire.newforce.ca'). You guys still in Aylmer P.Q.?

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada