Re: [htdig] Options to htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] Options to htdig
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 11:28:25 PST

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Douglas Kline wrote:

> I've been running some tests and my results don't seem consistent with your
> description.

I think a better way of saying this is "my description wasn't very good."

Let me put it this way:
-a = "add .work to the database names before doing anything"
-i = "delete files before starting"

The -a flag is performed before the -i. So yes, if you use -a -i, it will
create new files with the .work extension--but if there were already .work
files existing, it would delete them before doing anything.

> If you don't use "-i", then how does htdig use an old database?

If the database (with or without the .work extension) exists and you don't
supply the -i, htdig will read in all the URLs from the database before
starting. Before retrieving the URL from the server, it will send a header
telling the server to only send the document if it's changed. It will also
check the date of the document and only index it if it's newer than what's
in the DB already.

> rundig will indeed rename the ".work" files to their basenames but
> only if "-a" is given as an option on the command line. If rundig is
> edited to put the "-a" flag on the htdig command line within the
> script, then the "-a" won't become part of the variable alt and the
> script won't execute the lines which rename the files.

IMHO, the rundig script is pretty well commented--I didn't think it needed
a whole lot of explanation that the files will only be renamed if $alt is
set. Just my $0.02