Re: [htdig] Options to htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] Options to htdig
From: Douglas Kline (kline@head-cfa.harvard.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2000 - 15:17:27 PST

Geoff,

I've been running some tests and my results don't seem consistent with your
description. Is it possible that when you use both the -a and the -i flags to
htdig, it creates the new files using the ".work" extension and leaves the
existing files in place for searches to read and differs from using "-a"
without the "-i" flag in that the effect of the "-i" flag is not to use
existing database in building the new one? That would be consistent with my
observation. When I ran "rundig -a" while the htdig command in the script
still had the "-i" flag, then it made new files ending in ".work" leaving the
pre-existing files in place. If you don't use "-i", then how does htdig use an
old database?

rundig will indeed rename the ".work" files to their basenames but only if "-a"
is given as an option on the command line. If rundig is edited to put the "-a"
flag on the htdig command line within the script, then the "-a" won't become
part of the variable alt and the script won't execute the lines which rename
the files.

TIA.

Doug Kline

> On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Douglas Kline wrote:
>
> > The description of the "-a" flag adds, "When used without the "-i"
> > flag for an update dig, htdig will use any existing .work files for
> > the databases to update." Where would these "existing .work files"
> > come from? Wouldn't such files be removed at the completion of the
> > htdig process which created them? If you use "-a" and "-i" together,
> > what happens differently? TIA.
>
> The best way to describe this is to say that the -a flag just means that
> htdig (and company) will add the .work extension to the database filenames
> before opening them.
>
> If you supply the -i flag and the -a flag, it will do what the -i flag
> expects--it looks for the datbases (this time with .work added to the
> end), deletes them if they exist and then proceeds normally. Not very
> useful.
>
> The .work files are *not* deleted, renamed or anything like that by the
> ht://Dig programs themselves. So if you use the -a flag, when you're done
> digging, merging, generating fuzzy databases, etc., you must move them
> into place, etc. (I believe the current rundig script will do this for you
> if you supply the -a flag to it.)
>
> For an example of how this might be useful, you can see my rundig.sh
> script in the contributed section of the website (along with several other
> scripts).
> <http://www.htdig.org/contrib/>
>
> --
> -Geoff Hutchison