Re: [htdig] Options to htdig

Subject: Re: [htdig] Options to htdig
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 13:10:01 PST

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Douglas Kline wrote:

> The description of the "-a" flag adds, "When used without the "-i"
> flag for an update dig, htdig will use any existing .work files for
> the databases to update." Where would these "existing .work files"
> come from? Wouldn't such files be removed at the completion of the
> htdig process which created them? If you use "-a" and "-i" together,
> what happens differently? TIA.

The best way to describe this is to say that the -a flag just means that
htdig (and company) will add the .work extension to the database filenames
before opening them.

If you supply the -i flag and the -a flag, it will do what the -i flag
expects--it looks for the datbases (this time with .work added to the
end), deletes them if they exist and then proceeds normally. Not very
useful.

The .work files are *not* deleted, renamed or anything like that by the
ht://Dig programs themselves. So if you use the -a flag, when you're done
digging, merging, generating fuzzy databases, etc., you must move them
into place, etc. (I believe the current rundig script will do this for you
if you supply the -a flag to it.)

For an example of how this might be useful, you can see my rundig.sh
script in the contributed section of the website (along with several other
scripts).
<http://www.htdig.org/contrib/>