Re: [htdig] Indexing Restricted Pages

Subject: Re: [htdig] Indexing Restricted Pages
From: Douglas Kline (kline@head-cfa.harvard.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 15:39:38 PST

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Douglas Kline wrote:
>
> > The htdig search engine doesn't reach Web pages which require a Web login a
nd
> > password for user access. Is there a way to get it to do so, either by
>
> See the htdig program page: <http://www.htdig.org/htdig.html>
> or the authorization attribute
> <http://www.htdig.org/attrs.html#authorization>

Thanks for your prompt response. I have read these Web pages. The first one
describes the options to the command htdig and mentions -u which can specify a
username-password pair. The only way I can see to use this would be to put the
username and password in plain text in the rundig file (or whatever file one
uses for that purpose). Even if the file is protected, this could be
considered insecure. It also means that a change in the username or password
will require changing that file. The second Web page describes what I take to
be options for the htdig.conf file and again required that the
username-password combination be placed in plain text in that file in which
case file protections are again one's only security.

I would hope that we can accomplish the indexing of restricted pages without
the use of the username-password information. Is there any way to construct
the .htaccess file so as to permit access without login information by the
htdig process or perhaps some alternate way of restricting user access which
will still permit htdig access? TIA.

Douglas Kline

========
Douglas Kline