RE: [htdig] Hi, need help with searching database.

Subject: RE: [htdig] Hi, need help with searching database.
From: Akshay Guleria (akshay@himline.com)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 06:25:53 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Gilles Detillieux [mailto:grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca]
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 10:10 PM
To: akshay@himline.com

According to Akshay Guleria:
> thanx Gilles,
> However my problem is now fixed. I am using the following.
> htdig-3.2.0-0.b2.i386.rpm

Ah, I wasn't aware that this version was out in RPM. There are many
known bugs in 3.2.0b2, so don't be surprised if other problems occur.
The scoring bug in htsearch is very likely to turn up, unless this
RPM included a patch for this bug.

> There were 2 problems (in case you are interested):
> 1. htaccess files not allowing the rundig to connect to the server.

|There's not much htdig can do about this. If the .htaccess file sets
|up Basic authorization, then you can use the -u option to provide the
|user name and password to the server. If the .htaccess file set up
|some other restrictions, you're out of luck, but then these pages would
|also be inaccessible from a standard web browser coming in from the same
|address.

Infact I added "Allow from localhost" lines in my htaccess and it works.
Just a work arround.

> 2. This file in /var/lib/htdig needed webserver owner's ownership.
> db.words.db_weakcmpr
>
> As soon as I owned it by "apache", it worked. I dont know but I think the
> rpm packager should have have taken care of this.
> Anyway, it works now.
>
> Thanx a lot for getting back.

|This point was covered in FAQ 5.17. I didn't realize you were running
|a 3.2 beta before. It's very important to mention which version you're
|running, because many, if not most, of the bugs and problems that come
|up are version-specific. There's not much the RPM packager can do
|about this particular bug in htdig, because the db.words.db_weakcmpr
|file is not normally part of the RPM distribution - it's only created
|after installation, when you run the rundig script.

Oops! I had gone through the FAQ and this particualr point too but Goosh! I
had missed out the second paragraph just because I was in a hurry to go
through the complete FAQ.

Thanx a lot for pointing that out.