Re: [htdig] Q

Subject: Re: [htdig] Q
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 13:17:43 PST

According to ellenliu:
> Dear Sir:
> First ,I send my great gratitude to Gilles R. Detillieux
> and Daniel Naber for their warmhearted help. 3.2.0b3 has been installed
> on my system successfully.

Which snapshot did you use? 3.2.0b3 is still a work in progress, and is
slowly but surely getting closer to be ready for beta release. The
121700 snapshot is the most stable one so far.

> Here I have an another question :I had read through the source
> code before installing,but I want to trace some codes also now,would
> you please tell me which develope tool is good at debugging and/or
> tracing C/C++ program for Red Hat Linux platform?

I think most Red Hat Linux users would suggest gdb, or perhaps xxgdb.
If the C++ program you're debugging is htdig, I'd also suggest using
the debugging output already programmed into it, and activated with
multiple -v options, as you get a lot of feedback that way. (I'm a
big believer in debugging trace prints in general, and do most of my
C/C++ debugging that way.)

> Moreover,I had run it on my LAN,but when I search some words,it
> always gave me " no found "page,(I run it like this command line:
> htsearch word).I'd like to know whether this problem is caused by my
> operation reason.

You should run htsearch from the command line either with no arguments
at all, and let it prompt you for the search words, or you should give
it a full CGI-style query string as an argument, e.g.:

   /opt/www/cgi-bin/htsearch 'words=butterfly+valve&method=and'

Be sure to quote the query string if it contains any shell meta characters
such as "&", ";", "*", etc.