Re: [htdig] Words and files not being found or indexed

Subject: Re: [htdig] Words and files not being found or indexed
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 12:52:24 PST

According to crosstar:
> This is a message for Gilles or anyone who is "senior" enough with the
> program to answer.
>
> I had written to Gilles, earlier, and he had said to post the questions here.

I've been away from work and e-mail since last Wednesday, so I didn't get
caught up on this thread until today. You see, there's a reason why I
always redirect people to the list! I'm rather glad I missed this thread,
actually, as the whole thing seems to have been an exercise in frustration.

From the outset, I referred you to FAQ 5.25, but I didn't see any evidence
from this whole, very long thread of discussion that anyone had looked at
or followed the suggestions there. Was the language used in that question
so indecypherable that no one could get anything from it? I realize it's
written in technical language, but setting up a search engine correctly is
a pretty technical problem, so if you don't understand the basics of Unix
or Linux and how web servers work, you really should read up on that before
attempting something like this.

Anyway, if anyone can contribute suggestions as to how this FAQ entry can
be better written, I'd be glad to hear them. If the problem was simply
that no one bothered to look at the FAQ, then why am I wasting my time
trying to update it?