Re: [htdig] indexing mySQL table

Subject: Re: [htdig] indexing mySQL table
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 06:45:00 PST

At 7:23 PM +0800 12/14/00, Zon Hisham Bin Zainal Abidin wrote:
>1)htdig will index: http://domain/result.php?cat=AUT&subcat=AUT-CAR
> http://domain/result.php?cat=AUT&subcat=AUT-BIKE
> etc etc
>
>2)result.php looks inside my content table AND then refer to (lookup) to
>table category and subcategory for the appropriate codes (eg AUT stands
>for automobiles, AUT-CAR stands for car).
>
>Now, visitors will NOT be able to search for 'Automobile' or 'Bicycle'
>bcos these words were not indexed ! They can however (I think), search
>for AUT-CAR, which is NOT what we want.

I don't think you want what ht://Dig provides (full text site-wide
search). I think you'd be better served by a custom program (say
search.php) that would perform your SQL lookups directly from a list
of "synonyms,"

e.g.

Automobile -> AUT
Car -> AUT & AUT-CAR

This would take less time (since it could do the SQL lookups
directly) to perform the search and less space. It doesn't sound like
you really want to index the pages themselves, just the category
scheme. So running htdig over the site would be overkill.