Re: [htdig] local access to files for indexing

Subject: Re: [htdig] local access to files for indexing
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 10:34:54 PST

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Dennis Director wrote:

> in my config file, and start htdig, isn't it true that I
> should not see a lot of entries going into my access_log ??

There are a variety of reasons the local_urls feature needs to revert to
HTTP. It only works for a certain set of extensions (since it cannot
replicate server-generated content). It will also revert to HTTP for
directory listings unless it finds a file listed in the local_default_doc
attribute.

> I do. Am I doing something wrong. I thought this would be a good way
> to keep from adding access that I don't want to count.

If you're concerned about "counting," most statistics programs have ways
to exclude based on browser or IP address. Excluding hits from your server
or the htdig user-agent is one way of getting a more accurate "count" if
it concerns you.