RE: [htdig] Words and files not being found or indexed

Subject: RE: [htdig] Words and files not being found or indexed
From: crosstar (crosstar@nationalist.org)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 01:59:39 PST

Hi, Dunk:

If I understand your suggestion, it seems to be what I was seeking (if
it is possible).

The limitation for htdig, as I perceive it, is that it presently searches by way
of links, under html.

In my case (which I didn't realize, at the time), my entire site is based on
java-applet links. I had assumed (woe is me) that htdig indexed the files and
directory-structure based on what existed on the server.

Now, I realize that unless I have html links starting from top to bottom, I
will miss a lot of stuff which htdig will simply ignore. With thousands of
files, this is a problem, for us.

I am told that it would take months to accomplish a rewrite, which would
be tantamount to a redesign of our entire site. We currently are missing
about 40% of our page from being indexed and searched by htdig.

Our admins discussed "aesthetics" versus "functionality" and decided
to stay with the java-applet indexes and links, for now. They said that
they looked better and, after all, not too many people use htdig now, anyhow,
on our site (although I would like that to change).

So, anything which would improve the search capability by allowing us to
use our structure from the server, somehow (and not have to
rely on html links), would be welcome. It's a great program, no doubt,
even if not able to do all we might like, however.

Thanks.

At 03:44 PM 12/15/00 +0000, you wrote:
>At 07:59 15/12/2000 -0600, Geoff Hutchison wrote:
>>At 9:09 AM +0000 12/15/00, Duncan Brannen wrote:
>>>Maybe a Feature Request? - Ability to give a start directory
>>>and index the files in the directory tree? (Or was that another ht:// product)
>>
>>You can't do this in HTTP unless the server spits up directory listings. It's simply that htdig can't know more than the server spits up.
>
>I meant to do it via the file system rather than going through a web server, give it a document root and traverse down not necessarily
>following hyperlinks but instead the directory structure.
>
> Dunk
>

>>On the other hand, in the 3.2 code, there's support for the file:// "protocol" and in the 3.2.0b3 snapshots, it automatically generates directory listings.
>>
>>--
>>-Geoff Hutchison
>>Williams Students Online
>>http://wso.williams.edu/

The Nationalist Movement
PO Box 2000
Learned MS 39154
(601) 885-2288
Clinic: http://www.nationalist.org/board/html/index.php
Crosstarlist: http://www.nationalist.org/docs/resources/list.html
E-mail: mailto:crosstar@nationalist.org
Forum: http://www.nationalist.org/forum/index.php
Home Page: http://www.nationalist.org
ICQ: 5429992
Newsgroup: alt.national
Views not necessarily those of The Nationalist Movement
2000 by The Nationalist Movement