Re: [htdig] Words and files not being found or indexed

Subject: Re: [htdig] Words and files not being found or indexed
From: crosstar (crosstar@nationalist.org)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 05:03:14 PST

Thanks, Dennis.

I'll make this quick (because I know you are busy).

At 01:02 PM 12/14/00 -0600, you wrote:

>The big question is how is a viewer ever going to get to those 3,000
>pages?

The hope is that they can reach these pages by using a good keyword
search engine. We previously used Webglimpse and it worked just fine.
All you did was type in any word and it brought up any text from anywhere
on the site.

>How do they know about them???

You do not know about them. That is why we need the search engine.

>Can they click there way to every page starting at your home page?

Nope, they cannot.

We do have a java applet which they can click on which directs them to
about a dozen pages which give the viewer a general idea of the site.
But, of course, not the specific data they seek. Our site is
like a large reference library.

If this program simply does not index all the files or
cannot be configuered to do so, just tell me. I have already spent
14 hours on this, getting nowhere, and can go back to Webglimpse, if
need be.

>If the answer is yes, they should get indexed by htdig.

The answer is no.

>If the answer is no, then how do you visitors ever find
>those pages ?

Many find them because they are picked up by various web search engines,
such as yahoo, alta vista, excite, etc. or by other sites
which place links to them. But, we need a good search engine
which will index all files on our page, to be more specific
to our page. Htdig looked nice, at first.

If there is any way to use it and if it can be configured to
index all or files and pages, I'd like to do so.

I can send a file with our opening page, if that would help.

Thanks.