Re: [htdig] Words and files not being found or indexed

Subject: Re: [htdig] Words and files not being found or indexed
From: Dennis Director (dennis@StartSpot.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 08:34:06 PST

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, crosstar wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)
>
> I might sound a bit dense (sorry), but bear with me, as I hope
> to get this thing operable.
>
> What do you mean by:
>
> "Path of links on pages?"
>
> "Starting at the start page?"

> I am trying to understand your analysis, but could you,
> perhaps, simply tell me what exactly to do (such as,
> "type this," "cut and paste" that, or something practical
> (rather than just theoretical).

Well, I can't give you cut and paste steps, but let me try again ..

If your start page is http://www.nationalist.org/ and on that page
is a link to say http://www.nationalist.org/gerbils.htm, then those 2
pages get indexed.

If the start page has a link to
http://www.nationalist.org/pets, and the pets subdirectory has an
index.html page which includes links to dogs.html and cats.html, then
you will index http://www.nationalist.org/pets/dogs.html and
http://www.nationalist.org/pets/cats.html.

BUT ! if in the pets subdirectory is a page called fish.html and there is
no link to fish.html in the pets/index.html or the
http://www.nationalist.org/, then fish.html will not be indexed, because
htdig never saw it.

In other words, htdig gets the start page, looks inside for links, get
those pages, looks inside for links, get those pages, etc.
Just because a page is accessable by your server is not enough.

That's the best I can do..