Re: [htdig] indexing mySQL table

Subject: Re: [htdig] indexing mySQL table
From: Joshua Gerth (jgerth@ptdcs2.ra.intel.com)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 22:31:31 PST

> At 4:35 PM +0800 12/8/00, Zon Hisham Bin Zainal Abidin wrote:
> >Can htdig index mySQL tables?
>
> I don't remember if someone else already replied to you. In answer to
> your question, yes, but... The caveat is that ht://Dig indexes
> content. So if you have, for example, a web frontend to your mySQL
> database (e.g. a PHP-generated set of pages or whatnot), then you
> just set ht://Dig to index the frontend.
>
> Keep in mind that the indexing works like a web user. If the user can
> browse your database, then so can htdig.

.... which was sort of a surprise to me the first time I encountered this.
I had a voting system setup where you voted by clicking on an HREF (not a
form button). I was doing some rewrite stuff on the server so the
/cgi-bin/ was *not* in the path. Since I was running the search using my
login and password, htdig had me voting for every single element on the
page ...

This ended up pounding the snott out of my MySQL server (which did
survive) and added a *significant* number of pages to my index which all
contained "Thanks for voting Joshua Gerth".

Joshua "I voted for what!" Gerth