[htdig] Daft Question - How to Apply patch under Solaris - Bit off topic

Subject: [htdig] Daft Question - How to Apply patch under Solaris - Bit off topic
From: Duncan Brannen (dbb@st-andrews.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 07:18:56 PST

OK,
        I'm trying to apply the aarmstrong URL rewite patch to htdig-3.1.5
I assumed I use

>patch -i htdig.diff

under Solaris (8)

however, I assumed it would pick up the file names to be patched since
they're in there but nope - I have to specify the names then I get

> patch -i htdig.diff
   Looks like a new-style context diff.
File to patch: htdig/Retriever.cc
Malformed patch at line 16:
patch: Line must begin with '+ ', ' ', or '! '.

(This is where the next diff line starts)

If I chop the file up into separate diffs and apply them individually it
all works fine

The man file for Path really sounds like it should read the file and work
it out
for itself. Am I missing something?

Cheers,
        Duncan