Re: [htdig] Can htdig kill Linux?

Subject: Re: [htdig] Can htdig kill Linux?
From: Clint Gilders (servermaster@kingsnake.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 15:09:37 PST

David Gewirtz wrote:

> I just love getting to know new software. There's always some form of
> teething pain. Yesterday, I started running my first set of reasonably
> large htdig/htmerge processes. Came in today to find the Linux server
> (which is running nothing besides basic Mandrake processes and, of course,
> htdig) was deader than a doornail (have to say "deader than" because saying
> "hung more than" would just be too weird).

        I use Mandrake at home and love it, but have nothing but problems with
it in Server environment. Our lone Linux Server (The rest are free BSD)
has been crashing daily (hanging, not telnet, no ftp etc) since we
installed apache/mod_ssl. Even before that it wasn't the most reliable
box going. If you are going to continue to use it in a production
environment I suggest not running X or KDE as these can eat up 60% of
you CPU.

        We have indexed well over 200,000 documents with htdig running on a
single Free BSD machine without as much as hiccup.

>Almost makes me wish for NT.
Be careful what you wish for! You just might get it. Ahhhhhh!!! The
horror.

--
Clint Gilders
Servermaster Onlinehobbyist Inc.