[htdig] Can htdig kill Linux?

Subject: [htdig] Can htdig kill Linux?
From: David Gewirtz (david@ZATZ.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 09:11:00 PST

I just love getting to know new software. There's always some form of
teething pain. Yesterday, I started running my first set of reasonably
large htdig/htmerge processes. Came in today to find the Linux server
(which is running nothing besides basic Mandrake processes and, of course,
htdig) was deader than a doornail (have to say "deader than" because saying
"hung more than" would just be too weird).

In any case, I couldn't telnet into the Linux box, couldn't run my KDE
console, nada.

I've never seen Linux hang like that before. Almost makes me wish for NT.

But the net of it is this: is htdig liable to do this? Can I count on using
htdig in a production environment or do I need to go back to square one?
What's your experience? Advice?

Thanks in advance,

David