Re: [htdig] HTTPS Indexing

Subject: Re: [htdig] HTTPS Indexing
From: Joshua Gerth (jgerth@ptdcs2.ra.intel.com)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 10:52:12 PST

Hi Jason,

> When I try and run the openssl command below I get the following:
>
> > ./openssl s_client -host www.myurl.com -port 443
> unable to load 'random state'
> This means that the random number generator has not been seeded
> with much random data.
> Consider setting the RANDFILE environment variable to point at a file
> that
> 'random' data can be kept in (the file will be overwritten).
> CONNECTED(00000004)
> depth=1 /C=US/O=RSA Data Security, Inc./OU=Secure Server Certification
> Authority
> verify error:num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain
> verify return:0
> 18499:error:24064064:random number generator:SSLEAY_RAND_BYTES:PRNG not
> seeded:md_rand.c:474:You need to read the OpenSSL FAQ,
> http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html
> >

> I'm running this on a SunOS 5.6 box. I've checked the openssl faq as
> the error above suggests but could find anything concerning this.
> Please let me know if you know what's going on.

You are not going to like this but I think your problem is with openssl
and not htdig/ssl. If the s_client can't connect to your url its unlikely
that the htdig/ssl will be able to either. I am mainly just an openssl
user so I'm not going to be of much help as to debugging openssl. Did you
try setting the RANDFILE var like it suggests? I'm running on Linux which
didn't have this problem.

Sorry,
        Joshua