RE: [htdig] HTTPS Indexing

Subject: RE: [htdig] HTTPS Indexing
From: Kincaid, Sean (Contractor) (KincaidS@atsc.army.mil)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 08:10:15 PST

I was having the same problem, starting from when I added the SSL patch
(ssl.2). Not having had any experience with openssl, this posed a problem
for me. Luckily a coworker showed me some code he wrote, and suggested I
put in some error checking and add some other code. It came up with some
error about something not being seeded, I believe. I think what fixed it,
was adding to htlib/Connection.cc:
#include <rand.h>
const char* EGD_SOCKET_PATH = "/path/to/my/egd.socket";
and under Connection::initSSL() and Connection::connect(int allow_EINTR):
RAND_egd(EGD_SOCKET_PATH);

I also added some other code to force RAND_egd to only be called once,
because with the error checking code, I was finding ,with the exception
of perhaps the first time it was called, that RAND_egd was failing every
time it was called.

I know egd.socket is a named socket, and prngd.socket could be used in it's
place, and I think they are created by daemons, but other than that, I don't
know anything about these strange files.

Hope this helps.

Sean Kincaid