Re: [htdig] 3.20b(2/3)?

Subject: Re: [htdig] 3.20b(2/3)?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 21:04:32 PST

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 Sphboc@aol.com wrote:

> A. Is there a projected release date for 3.20B3?

It'll be out when it's ready. I'd obviously like to make sure it's in good
shape. That said, I'd certainly advise using the current snapshots over
3.2.0b2 as a "prerelease" of 3.2.0b3.

> B. Does the "collections" feature, as documented for 3.20b2, appear to be
> reliable? Have any comparisons of search efficiency, as opposed to searching
> a database created by merging the constituent components, been done?

It works, if that's what you're asking. It won't be as fast as a merged
database since it will have to open and close several more files, traverse
additional word databases, etc. Whether or not you'll see a user-level hit
depends on how many databases, etc. (As they say, YMMV.) On the other
hand, a "collection" doesn't require the additional disk overhead.

> C. (Sorry to be repeating myself, but I sure can't find anything relevant in
> the FAQ); is 3.20b3 going to include any form of phrase searching?

I dunno, FAQ 1.9 sounds about right:
<http://www.htdig.org/FAQ.html#q1.9>

Cheers,