Re: [htdig] Htdig with geramn umlaut under slackware

Subject: Re: [htdig] Htdig with geramn umlaut under slackware
From: Gilles Detillieux (
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 14:46:06 PST

According to jdong:
> i have installed Htdig under slackware 7.0 and configured as german
> version. in htdig.conf:
> locale: de_DE
> lang_dir: ${common_dir}/german
> bad_word_list: ${lang_dir}/bad_words
> endings_affix_file: ${lang_dir}/german.aff
> endings_dictionary: ${lang_dir}/german.0
> endings_root2word_db: ${lang_dir}/root2word.db
> endings_word2root_db: ${lang_dir}/word2root.db
> were added und files bad_words,german.aff and german.0 are copied under
> those directory. Everything is goning ok. Htdig can find every words
> except german umlaut such as () ...
> my Linux Slackware was installed as german version, wenn i tip
> locale -a in command line:
> >locale -a
> ..
> de
> deutsch
> de_DE
> Whatever i set LANG and LC_CTYPE = de_DE or de or deutsch, htdig is
> always no search funktion with german umlaut. But same htdig installed
> under Linux SUSE 6.2 und same configured there is no problem with
> german umlaut.
> I don't known how can i configure slackware locale and resolve this
> problem?

I believe there are still problems with locale support on Slackware Linux
systems. See the thread entitled "Portuguese" from this past May:

I never did get a followup message from Rodrigo indicating whether he had
found a solution, but you may want to try the tips I gave him.

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: