Re: [htdig] different search results

Subject: Re: [htdig] different search results
From: Gilles Detillieux (
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 12:17:17 PST

According to Geoff Hutchison:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, David Adams wrote:
> > Or does one really get a link which when followed brings up the .PDF
> > document open at the relevant page? If so, that would be quite something,
> > especially if it worked for a range of browsers. What would be the correct
> > HTML <a name="..."> tags for the anchors?
> This is on the right track. Basically, you can pass along information to
> Acrobat to open to a particular page. So AFAIK, it works with all browsers
> that support the Acrobat PDF plugin.

Pierre Olivier discussed the technique some months ago on this list, and
has a web page that describes it. I forget the URL, but you'll find it
quickly with a search for "pdftodig". There's also a little
script that implements the same capability in xpdf, for locating the right
page. The technique involves using a cgi script URL in the anchor tag,
with the cgi script spitting out some XML for Acrobat.

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW: