Re: [htdig] Dummies Guide to Restricting searchs

Subject: Re: [htdig] Dummies Guide to Restricting searchs
From: David Robley (huntsman@hermes.nisu.flinders.edu.au)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 21:59:35 PST

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Terry Collins wrote:
> Geoff Hutchison wrote:
> >
> > At 12:14 PM +1100 11/16/00, Terry Collins wrote:
> > >I understand from my reading that I can restrict the search to returning
> > >only results from one list. i.e. http://www.woa.com.au/lists/list-name
> > >by using exclude and restrict parameters when htsearc is called.
> > >
> > >My problem is that I don't understand HOW to go about this?
> > >Can anyone point me to some further info/how-to/etc?
> >
> > See <http://www.htdig.org/hts_form.html>
> >
> > (esp. the "restrict" and "exclude" portions)
>
> Thanks Geoff.
>
> This is what I had read before posting, but the how-to-do-it eluded me
> (html is rather limited). Then in the usual fashion of an illumination
> coming as soon as you post to a list, I tried making the link read
> http://www.woa.com.au/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=&restrict=lists/slug
> which seems to work and it carries the restriction forward for
> successive searches. Seems because at the moment, it is still doing
> indexing of the other areas.
>
> Is this autocarry forward of the restriction reliable?
>
> However, I'd like to allow them to enter a search value for the first
> search rather than return an error message first up.
>
> I've also looked at somewhere else that had a form (something I've never
> used before) and cut-and-pasted into my page.
>
> <form method="get" action="/cgi-bin/htsearch">
> <input type="submit" value="Search"></p>
> </form>
>
> I changed action to read
> action="/cgi-bin/htsearch?config=&restrict=/lists/slug" but it instantly
> drops the restriction off the form.
>
> Is this the way to do it?
> Can anyone tell me why the restriction is dropped?

You could add, in your search form, a drop down list, named restrict,
containing the various values of restriction you want. There are examples
of the drop down lists, using the SELECT tag, in the search.html that comes
with htdig.

--
David Robley                        | WEBMASTER & Mail List Admin
RESEARCH CENTRE FOR INJURY STUDIES  | http://www.nisu.flinders.edu.au/