Re: [htdig] not showing child frames?

Subject: Re: [htdig] not showing child frames?
From: Doug Barton (DougB@yahoo-inc.com)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 15:11:56 PST

Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
>
> > If you do define each page as its own unique frameset, and you're 100%
> > consistent in the naming convention you use for this, then it would
> > probably be pretty easy to map the target page URLs back to their
> > corresponding frameset URLs. However, I have yet to see a frames-based
> > web site where this would be possible.
>
> Someone once told me that you could do this with JavaScript. (I guess it
> detected that it was the only frame and assembled the frameset.)
>
> I have not seen a working example of this. Perhaps some JavaScript gurus
> out there could provide one.

        I am not a javascript guru, but I do play one on TV. :)

<HEAD>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!-- comment out the script so old browsers skip it
if (window.name != "tocframe")
location.href="index.html";
// -->
</SCRIPT>
</HEAD>

In this example, if someone clicks on a link in my search results page that
actually references my table of contents frame, it uses a fake 302
(location) header to cause that "page" to load up in the proper frameset by
going to the site's home, which then loads the frameset, loads the TOC,
etc. Obviously you should replace "tocframe" with the real name of the
frame that your page should be in. This works really well, as long as your
search form itself is not in a frameset. You can extend this of course with
a little imagination.

        A really good site for Javascript (and other) tips and tricks is
http://www.zdnet.com/devhead/, although I don't recall off hand where I
picked this one up.

HTH,

Doug