Re: [htdig] not showing child frames?

Subject: Re: [htdig] not showing child frames?
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 14:23:39 PST

According to Oguz Altun:
> > >When searching pages that have frames, Htdig returns both the main page
> and
> > >the child frame. How can I get rid of that lonely frame? ;)
> >
> > Well you can exclude certain patterns using the restrict and exclude
> > fields in the search form. Or you could add META robots tags to the
> > frames that you don't want, e.g.:
> >
> > <META name="ROBOTS" content="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">
>
> Well, I want framed pages to be indexed and returned, but just in their
> respective parent windows.

This is the big problem with frames. Unless you define each page to
have its own unique frameset, there's no way to tell the browser with
just one URL to go back to a particular frameset and page combination.
If you do define each page as its own unique frameset, and you're 100%
consistent in the naming convention you use for this, then it would
probably be pretty easy to map the target page URLs back to their
corresponding frameset URLs. However, I have yet to see a frames-based
web site where this would be possible.