Re: [htdig] 3.20b2 -- subsequent-page-locate HTML.

Subject: Re: [htdig] 3.20b2 -- subsequent-page-locate HTML.
From: Doug Barton (DougB@yahoo-inc.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 11:43:47 PST

Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
>
> > in 3.2.0b2. In that sense, it's probably ready for release already,
> > but I think there were still some known bugs that Geoff wanted to nail
> > down first.
>
> Yes, there are a few known bugs I'd like to squash. I'm also working on
> integrating the new htsearch query parser--it wouldn't be hard if I had a
> day or two where I could sit down and do it, but that just hasn't happened
> yet. I can't commit to any sort of date for 3.2.0b3 until I can do this.
>
> My general policy on the beta releases is that as they get further and
> further along, I'm more likely to suggest the snapshots since they're much
> more likely to have the bugs fixed in a timely manner.

        Well, if you're looking for user input, I'd like to put a vote in for
making a beta release with the current feature set cleaned up to a
reasonable degree and put off adding new features for the next beta. Having
done this kind of development myself I am very familiar with the "one more
feature" feeling, but at some point you just have to lay down the tag. :)

        Of course, I'm speaking from a selfish perspective since I have a new
project that I'd like to use htdig on that needs at least a semblance of
phrase searching capability, and b2 still has some quirks that I'm not
comfortable with. I'd also like to put a nice stable beta in the FreeBSD
ports tree, which I think will help speed acceptance of it and get you a
bunch more vict^H^H^H^H testers involved in the project.

Doug

		     -- Arthur C. Clarke