Re: [htdig] 3.20b2 -- subsequent-page-locate HTML.

Subject: Re: [htdig] 3.20b2 -- subsequent-page-locate HTML.
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 09:17:35 PST

According to Sphboc@aol.com:
> Thank you . . a couple of related questions:
>
> A. Do you routinely add this sort of thing to the posted FAQ?

I fairly regularly add things to the FAQ when I get tired of seeing them
come up over and over again. As a rule, I tend to hold off on version
specific information in the FAQ because it gets outdated very quickly,
however I do make an exception to that when there's a long time between
releases and a particular question comes up more than a half dozen times
or so.

> B. When do you expect the 3.20b3 to be released in the form of a beta? The
> problem isn't serious enough, in my mind, to warrant becoming involved with
> code which isn't deemed ready for beta release.

Geoff and I both feel that the latest 3.2.0b3 snapshot is probably much
more stable than 3.2.0b2, and much less buggy. That doesn't mean it
doesn't have some new bugs, but likely none as bad as all the known bugs
in 3.2.0b2. In that sense, it's probably ready for release already,
but I think there were still some known bugs that Geoff wanted to nail
down first. The biggest problem is that all the developers have been too
busy at their day jobs lately to spend any significant time on ht://Dig,
so progress has been slow. Please bear with us, but don't be afraid of
development snapshots if you're eager to test the next beta.

> C. Is any work-around, not requiring re-compilation of htsearch, available?

Can't think of any. I could suggest a fix that would require
recompilation but not a full reinstallation of a more recent snapshot
(in fact, it's probably already in the patch archive or mailing list
archive), but then that wouldn't address the other known bugs.