[htdig] Following links, not indexing a doc

Subject: [htdig] Following links, not indexing a doc
From: Eric Bliss (ebliss@digitalmedianet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 09:31:57 PST

Htdig has been acting well for us for some time now, but there is one glitch that has been brought to my attention.

We have a number of websites which are updated on a regular basis. Because of this, old pages are being unlinked every week from
the main body of the site. To keep these pages in the search engine database (as opposed to being lost forever), I've created a
page for each website that just consists of the URLs of each of these pages. At the top of these pages, I place the meta tags to
tell htdig to follow the links, but not index the page <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX">. I use these pages as the base
documents for htdig to crawl from.

My problem is that although htdig's website says that it follows the robot rules, my index documents still show up when a search is
done. Is there a different tag I should be using, or do you need to specify a setting in htdig for it to obey robot rules?

Thanks for any light that can be shed on this problem.

Eric Bliss
Web Developer
Digital Media Online
Santa Ana, CA