RE: [htdig] htmerge: Unable to open word list file '/opt/www/htdi

Subject: RE: [htdig] htmerge: Unable to open word list file '/opt/www/htdi
From: Martin Mielke (martinm@people-com.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 07:56:12 PST

Hello again,

> According to Martin Mielke:
> > > Interesting! It seems the C++ library is deliberately
> aborting. Did
> > > you make any changes to your runtime libraries since
> compiling htdig?
> > > If so, or in any case if htdig is still failing consistently
> > > like this,
> > > I'd recommend rebuilding and reinstalling htdig from scratch.
> > >

> > Even after reinstalling from scratch I get the same error
> messages...
> >
> > What now?? :-/
>
> Well, you did say that it used to run fine, and just recently stopped
> working, so I'd recommend hunting around to see what's
> changed that has
> made it stop working. If you can find any changes to the libraries on
> the indexing system, or any other system changes, that were
> done recently,
> try backing them out and see if that fixes things. Also, if
> you make any
> changes to your htdig.conf, try backing them out. To rule
> out problems
> resulting from changes to the site(s) you are indexing, try htdig on a
> small, known set of documents to see if you get any further with them.
> Also, run htdig with -vvvvv to see if any debugging output at
> all comes
> out before it crashes.

a) under the same conditions described during this thread, a rundig -vvvvv
results in the same error message:

        htmerge: Unable to open word list file
'/opt/www/htdig/db/db.wordlist'

b) Reinstalling from scratch didn't solve the problem either

c) max_doc_size did the trick; it's not a good idea to set it up too high
(just bigger than the biggest PDF/PostScript/Word) because it dumps a core
otherwise. For values over, I guess, 99999999 it seems to crash on a 256 MB
machine running RedHat 6.2. After setting max_doc_size to 95000000 the
intranet can be indexed as usual, although I'm afraid that some PDF won't
get parsed...

Martin