[htdig] Re: [htdig3-dev] ht://Dig

Subject: [htdig] Re: [htdig3-dev] ht://Dig
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 19:51:12 PST

Hi there,

You probably want to take a look at the installation instructions
even though the program is probably already installed. If they don't
make much sense to you, talk to your sysadmin or local techie. For
example it sounds like you will probably want to have things updated
on a regular basis, so you'll want someone to set it up to run
unattended.

As far as customizing the search form, you can do that to your
heart's content. The license for ht://Dig is the GNU General Public
License and it says essentially that you are free to use the program
as you wish (including modifying anything or everything) and
distribute the source code (obviously bound by the same license).

In short, you should browse through the htdig.org website and look at
the various customization methods.

There are no fixed limits for the capacity of ht://Dig provided you
have the proper hardware. Many users have setups of hundreds of
thousands or millions of pages.

At 6:43 PM -0500 11/2/00, Janet L. Gdog G wrote: >Hi, >I have just taken over the development of a website that will require a >search. I found a copy of the standard search page with your logo and >hyper link. > >The program is not up and running, and I will have to figure how to do >that. This is my first real site search, so I'm a bit lost. > >Is it possible to use the search with in a standard html page. The >current one is set up on its own page with your header, logo.... This >is an 'organization' that would like to have the search feature >incorporated into the menu. One of my concerns if wether the search >layout can be changed under the copyright and license. > >Once the site is set up they will slowly begain gathering paper, >articles, and other resource documents. No one has any idea of how >large the site may grow. There could easily be hundreds of papers with >in six months, and thousands by the end of 2001. Is this a problem for >your program? > >Do I have to know any advance language to use htdig? I know html, but >that is it. > >Thank you for your help, >Janet