Re: [htdig] Search engine for private page

Subject: Re: [htdig] Search engine for private page
From: Malcolm Austen (malcolm.austen@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 02:52:18 PST

On 29 Oct 2000, Knut A. Syed wrote:

+ How about modifying htsearch to automatically use CONFIG_DIR based on
+ the name of the exectued binary?

This is, in effect, what I already do. I don't have htsearch in the
cgi-bin directory, just several perl wrapper scripts (the one named
htsearch is a trap!) that force the config file issue before passing the
query to the real htsearch.

The wrapper script can be sensitive to the calling environment. I make use
of $ENV{'REMOTE_HOST'} to see if the caller is (a)my office system (which
allows me to test config file changes), (b)inside the .ox.ac.uk domain or
(c)anywhere else.

I don't claim it's a foolproof system but it traps the explicit selection
of the 'private' config file and continues the query with the 'public'
config file.

regards,
        Malcolm.

 Malcolm.Austen@OUCS.ox.ac.uk http://users.ox.ac.uk/~malcolm/