[htdig] Re: question about ht://Dig RPM (RedHat version, not yours)

Subject: [htdig] Re: question about ht://Dig RPM (RedHat version, not yours)
From: Gilles Detillieux (grdetil@scrc.umanitoba.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 12:52:00 PST

According to Adam Thompson:
> Gilles, I'm wondering if you are familiar with a syntax error(?!) in the
> RedHat-distributed version of ht://Dig ?
>
> In summary, I see:
> /usr/bin/rundig: /usr/bin/rundig: line 87: syntax
> error: unexpected end of file
>
> which appears to be utterly bogus. I hesitate to download
> non-RedHat-provided RPMs for this particular system, so I thought I'd
> ask if you were aware what the problem was.
>
> RedHat ships their ht://Dig package with the Secure Web Server package
> (v6.2).
>
> Any assistance appreciated. I can't even see the problem with the shell
> script - it looks fine to me.
>
> BTW: I'm running 3.1.5 - are there any known security flaws in this
> version?

No, 3.1.5 is the latest stable release. There are only a few minor bugs
that have been discovered and fixed since its release. They weren't
serious enough to warrant a new release, but if any of them affect you,
patches are available for these at

    ftp://ftp.ccsf.org/htdig-patches/3.1.5/

(You'd need to integrate any of these you need into the .spec file,
from the htdig SRPM file, and rebuild it.)

I believe you're using an older version of Red Hat's RPM for htdig than
the one they include with the Red Hat 7.0 Power Tools. I've heard one bug
report earlier about this. Red Hat made a mostly useless patch to the
rundig script, to give warnings about the length of time htfuzzy takes,
and in the process introduced a subtle syntax error. Their latest RPM
fixes this error, but the patch is still mostly useless, because on a
default configuration on any halfway current hardware, htfuzzy doesn't
take that long, at least compared to how long it takes htdig/htmerge to
index an averaged sized site.

The fix is to find the two "here documents" that their /usr/bin/rundig
script uses to issue the warnings, and either delete them entirely if you
don't care for them, or strip off any leading space or tabs from the word
"EOF" which ends the here documents. That ending word should be right
at the start of the line.

I don't know what else Red Hat did that's different than my RPMs for
a 6.2 system, so if fixing the rundig script doesn't work for you,
you could always try installing htdig-3.1.5-0glibc21.i386.rpm from the
htdig.org site instead. For Red Hat 7.0, you're probably better off
with Red Hat's RPM, as the DocumentRoot has moved from /home/httpd/html
to /var/www/html on 7.0.