Re: [htdig] Can't find V8

Subject: Re: [htdig] Can't find V8
From: Duke Hillard (dxh0844@louisiana.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 11:59:42 PST

A quick followup to Geoff's message about the importance
of excluding terms that are frequently (or, commonly) used.

Our institution excludes nearly 400 words from the search
because they lose significance due to their frequent usage.
In addition to words frequently used in the United States,
we also exclude words that are in frequent use locally and
in our institution. For example, we exclude the word 'box'
because almost every one of our pages offers a postal box
to which surfers can write for additional information (same
applies to the words 'phone' and 'telephone'). When users
go to our search page, they are advised that we maintain a
list of non-searchable terms (we even provide a link to the
list). When a user's search returns no match, we also tell
them about the list of non-searchable terms and provide a
link to the list. Our implementation of htdig can be seen at
"http://www.louisiana.edu/Web/Search/".

Regards,

-- Duke Hillard, Webmaster, UL Lafayette