Re: [htdig] Berkeley / MySQL

Subject: Re: [htdig] Berkeley / MySQL
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 10:49:03 PST

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Jacob Friis Larsen wrote:

> Now that htdig is using the Berkeley db, and that MySQL have created a
> version that works like/with Berkeley; Does that mean that I can use htdig
> with MySQL ?

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with this. But the answer is "probably
not."

Many people are familiar with the developments on the 3.2 code. The new
htword code has been broken out into a parallel effort called "mifluz."
The new database is based on Berkeley DB but adds in a number of very
useful optimizations (i.e. compression) for word indexing. The maintainers
of the Berkeley DB were not interested in this, so at this point the
mifluz database and the Berkeley DB are (for all intents) different
database libraries.

To make a long story short, the mifluz library is heavily optimized (and
will be further) for the word database and I don't think it would be a
good idea to replace it. On the other hand, I can see very good reasons
people might want the option of placing the DocumentDB in various
databases.