Re: [htdig] Newbie question Hard drive space

Subject: Re: [htdig] Newbie question Hard drive space
From: J. op den Brouw (MSQL_User@st.hhs.nl)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 07:29:29 PDT

Better is to use RAID-lineair (if I'm correct). This will
make your drives behave like one big disk. Then you don't have to
worry about it, but your OS will. But I think this is not
what you wanted to hear. Mabye it's called RAID-0.

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Geoff Hutchison wrote:

> At 7:54 AM -0500 10/26/00, Phil King wrote:
> >I have two 18GB drives that I am using for a search project.
> >I want to split the files for htdig up so that it uses both drives and does
> >not just fill up one and not the other.
>
> This would be very tricky. The largest files, naturally, are the
> databases themselves. While you can set the locations of individual
> databases, IMHO this would be a maintenance nightmare. (Even if you
> had symlinks to remind you where the other files were.) Of course if
> your project requires more than one set of databases, it would be
> much easier (and logical) to split them.
>
> If you do want to split the databases, I'd probably put the word
> databases on one drive and the document databases on the other.
>
> See <http://www.htdig.org/cf_byname.html> -- there's a configuration
> attribute for each database, along with database_base and
> database_dir for setting parts of them all at once.

--jesse
Haagse Hogeschool 2521 EN DEN HAAG
Faculty of Engeneering Netherlands
Electrical Engeneering +31 70 4458936

Linux - because reboots are for hardware changes