Re: [htdig] Search engine for private page

Subject: Re: [htdig] Search engine for private page
From: Geoff Hutchison (
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 05:38:46 PDT

At 10:57 AM +0200 10/25/00, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>- make two databases, but I don't really see what can prevent the user to use
>the private one (I have to authorize /cgi-bin/htsearch for everybody). Yes, I
>can make two Web pages with different config (and authorize only one from
>outside) but it seems a lame protection.

You can make a symbolic link and secure one of the URLs, e.g.:

ln -s htsearch

and then in your server config:
<Location /cgi-bin/>
AuthType Basic
AuthName ....
AuthUserFile ...
AuthGroupFile ...
<Limit GET POST>
require group foo

For example, this is how the ht://Dig bug database is protected for developers.